Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Notes from my written journal... part 2

One of the things I love about Osaka is that no matter what time of day or night hunger decides to strike, you can always find a place to eat, dare I say it, decent food.
After visiting Banco, I took a walk down the street to see if I could find another old favourite - Cafe Absinthe - which had relocated since I was last here.
I found the place easily enough but it was closed. I happened to notice Dmitri behind the bar with two other people, who happened to be Miho and an artist there to hang his show. I signaled at the door like one of those annoying customers that ask if you are open when, clearly, you are not... Fortunately, however, upon opening the door and after a friendly greeting, Dmitri realized who I was and invited me in. It's a good space in a far more easily accessible part of town. We chatted briefly about the possibility of me having an exhibition there either later this year or sometime in 2013, and I was introduced to the artist whose exhibition officially opens on May 13. I told him I would pop in again soon and set off to see if I could remember how to find Dig Me Out Art & Diner - a funky little place, and a great concept, that a fellow artist had introduced me to when I was living here about 5 years ago. It's a great space that promotes art and artists - mostly local but some international - not only in the space itself but on their ever evolving website.
So with Tantakatan in one hand and my pen in the other, I sat and observed... and wrote down some ideas as jazz filtered through the speakers, competing with two giggling Japanese girls that sat a few tables away.


No comments: