Sunday, May 13, 2012

It had to happen...

Friday night, caught up with old friend Hide and new found friend Jo for Okonomiyaki and sake before heading to Galaxy Gallery to check out a show by Mexican artist, Uriel Marin.


It was the opening party with a good turnout and a great atmosphere. The space is possibly the best I have seen in Osaka, as far as smaller, non institutional galleries go. Jamie from Headspace was there and managed to introduce me to Colo, the owner/director of Galaxy. Colo mentioned that this was his first time showing an international artist and told me of his plans to do so more often. I showed him some images of my work and we discussed the possibility of me organising something in his space for next year. It would be a great venue for a couple of the joint/group ventures that I have been contemplating. We shall see where this goes...
After bumping into a few of 'the others', and as the party was coming to an end, the mention of karaoke came from nowhere and before we knew it, a small group of us were at a super seedy and fabulous ( all at the same time ) karaoke venue in the back streets of Namba somewhere. It had to happen... After all, is a trip to Japan ever really complete without at least one karaoke session? Voices got husky and tired somewhere around 3am and the night came to a close.

No comments: