Saturday, December 09, 2006

Hot Hot Heat


The relentless Victorian Summer seems to come without too much warning. It seems to go from one extreme to the other in a very short period of time.

Today, whilst I paint, much of Victoria burns. Evidence of bushfires is everywhere, even in non-affected areas, as smoke drifts through the sky and atmosphere making everyone aware that danger time has hit.

It must be terrifying for the people in the directly affected and threatened areas.

Whilst many Victorians are seeking refuge from the heat at our beaches, many others are praying and doing all they can to save their homes and belongings. The 'season to be jolly' is turning into an awful nightmare for some.

Nature's elements, at their best and worst, are always unpredictable.

I paint inside today as outside it is not only thick-aired and hazy from the smoke, but a very stifling 37 degrees - (at least that was the predicted forecast, I've a feeling it may be higher).

On days like this I barely venture outside. As Summer progresses and the beaches nearby become more and more crowded with each Summer weekend, I lock myself away in my studio. The beaches will still be there long after the masses have departed at the end of silly season.

The tourists can have the beaches, I've got my art, and for now, I am happy being a Summer studio hermit.

No comments: