Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Plate or Palette?


I must say, one thing that suffers, (other than my partner), when I am 'in the zone' : painting or preparing for an exhibition, is my diet.

As a general rule, I try to eat fairly healthy, opting for organic produce when I can get it. I don't eat meat, other than fish, and my diet usually consists of a good balance of fresh vegetables, grains, legumes and fish. Over the past few months however, my diet has been quite poor despite my passion for good food.

I sometimes forget to eat when I am painting. I get so involved with what I am doing that in a sense, my art feeds me - or at least suppresses my hunger. Often too, even when I am hungry, I find I do not want to stop the momentum or interrupt any creative roll I may be on to prepare food so I either skip meals or eat something quick and easy - and often not too nutritious.

This habit or lifestyle doesn't seem to present too many problems short term, but the longer it goes on the more I feel it having a negative effect and denying me the sustenance I ultimately need.
I guess it all comes back to the whole 'balance' thing that I speak of so often... something I am STILL striving for?

1 comment:

Andrea and Kim said...

Oh I do hear you, Simone! We eat similarly to be sure, but I also find I get involved in my work and forget the whole business of good nutrition! Often I will look for easier things to prepare during that time, though...it is just difficult when it is prolonged!

Maybe now you can get back to the habit of good nutrition as you bask in the glow of your show!

Wishing you the best!