I attended a yoga class today. My first in a few years. It felt so good to do it again - properly. It felt good to do something for myself. I have been meaning to 'get back into it' for a long time now and today I realised just how much I have missed it.
I often talk or write about 'symbolism'... the Oxford online dictionary sums it up as follows:
1. The practice of representing things by means of symbols or of attributing symbolic meanings or significance to objects, events, or relationships.
2. A system of symbols or representations.
3. A symbolic meaning or representation.
4. Revelation or suggestion of intangible conditions or truths by artistic invention.
5. Symbolism - The movement, theory, or practice of the late 19th-century Symbolists.
I like number 1 - number 4 is probably my favourite though.
At the beginning of the class this morning, the teacher laid out a whole lot of affirmation/meditation cards face down and asked everyone to come and pick one up and read it. I was the last one in the class to pick up a card but I don't think I could have picked a more appropriate one. The cards were from a set by Brahma Kumaris and the one I picked up was Creativity. Although I cannot remember the card word for word right now - it seemed so very appropriate for me today as my return to yoga is part of my ongoing effort to get myself more motivated and creatively productive.
I came home and painted for the first time in months. I painted all afternoon and into the evening. It felt so right.