Sunday, June 03, 2007

Sayonara


Today, it was Osaka that I said farewell to. A very different feeling to yesterday’s intimacy with Kyoto. Osaka is an eye sore in comparison but does possess some of its own unique charm. It is these random charming qualities that I will miss once I return home to Australia, and in reflection on my time here.

I will not miss holding my breath as I get stuck behind a flock of smokers walking slowly down the mall, or at the lights, or in a bar or restaurant. I am a stereotypical ex-smoker...and Japan is a very pro-smoking society. I struggled a lot with this. I won't miss dodging numerous puddles of phlegm coughed up on the pavement as I walk to the shop or the station, nor will I miss the sound of them being expelled. I will not miss the hostile stares and random verbal abuse I received from various characters in the area I was living. I will not miss the air in Osaka, or my dimly lit apartment.

There are many things I will not miss, but even with its more negative qualities, Japan has continued to inspire me, sometimes even without me realising it. I know I will wish to return.

The list of things I will miss however is possibly greater. Japan does possess much beauty and continues to intrigue me. The experience was quite a humbling one and one I am grateful to have had.

1 comment:

Charivarius said...

Osaka is a bit of an eyesore, but its proximity to Kyoto and Nara made it irresistable as a home. Kyoto is how I prefer to remember Japan--a light rainfall that drives away the crowds, and leaves me in sole possession of Ginkakuji. Kinkakuji in the Spring with the hordes of tourists that looked like me, but a week too late for the cherry blossums I'd heard so much about. Not this year... maybe next.