Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Me, Myself Portrait and I

This current body of work is possibly the most personal and intimate that I have ever produced. So personal that I feel it will be somewhat of a risk to show it - or should I say exhibit it in a commercial gallery sense.

All works thus far in this series are self portraits - a subject I have had numerous debates about regarding mine and others. I am an artist who will happily promote this subject, and when needed, defend it... and my reasons are not as egotistic as some may think. Having said that, I don't know an artist without an ego - then again, I don't know many people, artists or not, who do not possess at least something that resembles one. It's not a dirty word.

This body of work is also the most articulate work I have done for a long time. I feel like I have been working on this current piece forever. I have spent the past few days working on it and I still feel like I have so much more to do before it is complete.

It will be interesting to see how this work is perceived. I could worry about what others will think of the work and whether they will understand my reasons for painting this series but I am choosing not to. For far too long I have let things like this worry me far too much.

Worry less - Paint more.

2 comments:

Glynn said...

You gotta do what needs to be done.

Anonymous said...

It's looking even more beautiful than before. In my opinion it's the best piece ever. I love it.

Ego...I don't see self portraiture as an ego trip. I liken it to writing in a diary, except, the medium isn't words but an image.

I'm not an artist, but my experience is that self-portraits are immensely difficult to get right. It must have something to do with having to look beyond your own impression of self, and see yourself as others would. A difficult task in words, a painstaking task in image.

I am looking forward to seeing this piece. It's beautiful Simone. Congratulations on this one. Brilliant. Beautiful.

Kazz xxx